Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Assumptive Cupcake Ritual

Respectfully stolen from es.toonpool.com



         Making cupcakes pisses me off. It's just the whole ASSUMPTION about the thing. You have a kid. You start being required to make cupcakes. Cupcakes are not a quick project. There are stages and waiting and icing and I don't know how people always put the exact right amount of batter into the little paper cups because how do you know how much it is going to rise???? How do you KNOW!?

  Whatever. My older daughter's birthday is in August, but summer-birthday kids get to bring cupcakes in for the class before the end of the school year.

   I think there is something to this whole Assumptive Cupcake Ritual . A mother expresses her love by going through this whole long, chocolately ritual. It's like the Japanese tea ritual. It's not about the tea. It's not about the cupcake. It's about the time and beauty and love that you put in. I love you so much that I will devote an evening to making you some stupid cupcakes.

  From a mix. Don't push it, kid.

   Can't I draw a picture? Can't I build you a tree fort with a pulleyed bucket system? A lego-block shopping mall with little security guard with a yellow head and a miniature revolving door? Nice, right?

   No. It's the Assumptive Cupcake Ritual every year for every kid across America.

Older Daughter, international spy
   Older daughter, I love you. You are an astoundingly complex and compassionate small person. I love how you have faced down a really difficult social situation in your new school this year. I love to hear you play your guitar and pretend to be Taylor Swift. I love how you took on being a bonafide Girl Scout with such zeal. You are my pint-sized Batman, always fighting for justice without the fanciful super-powers of weaker heros. You are the only kid wearing pink in Paris. You are the personal assistant that I always wanted, and I take my hat off to you.  If it's cupcakes you need, I'll do it. But don't expect it on the regular.


 love and light,
your friend,
Mountain

3 comments:

  1. The passive aggressive way of dealing with the Cupcake situation. Add as much chocolate and sugar to the cake mix as you can find. Then sit back and watch the school change the sweets in school policy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised the school hasn't outlawed cupcakes in an effort not to offend any one who has a weight problem..... Whatever...at least you only have 2 daughters to bake cupcakes for....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey yanno what? The public schools around here don't allow homebaked goods to be shared at the school. Any treats have to be purchased and in their original packaging. So sad. So tragic. It means a whole generation of children in my town won't get the whole cupcake thang.

    OK, here's some cupcake tips (cuz you know I can't resist this sort of thing!)
    Do you have the individual type measuring cups? You know separate cups for 1/2C, 1/3C, 1/4C and so on? Well, measure your total batter amount and divide it by the number of cupcakes you want. I have a handled mixing bowl that has the measurements on the side which makes this super simple- if you lived next door, I'd lend it to ya☺ For example if you have a quart of batter and want to make a dozen cupcakes, each one would need 1/3 cup batter. Then use your 1/3C measuring cup as a sort of ladle to place the batter into the little cups. And for frosting them, put the frosting in a ziplock bag, cut a teensy bit off the corner and squeeze the frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirl starting on the outside and going in. You can even make a little standy-up-curl if you're feeling particularly daring. Then give the kids some sprinkles or whatever and let them make the cupcakes "pretty." Easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.