Saturday, June 12, 2010

2007 Rerun: Wicca Books To A Good Home



I found this in an undisclosed archive, written three years ago today. I thought you might enjoy the rerun!

                    Wicca Books to A Good Home
Let me begin at the beginning. I am a wiccan. I started buying books on neopaganism when I was about fifteen, saving my money and paying full price because I couldn't get the information at the library, and I didn't know anyone with whom to trade. I stacked them up at the back of my altar, then just the top of my babyish yellow bookshelf, cherishing them and touching them gingerly and lovingly. I stacked them so that I could read their titles as I lit my candles and chanted my prayers. My parents were supportive of my new interest, luckily, because I have stuck with it for more than ten years now.

My ex stole these books, and the many more I added to the collection in later years, to use against me in court. To accuse me of being a satan worshipper and an unfit parent, and to hurt me because he knew how highly I prized them. He still hasn't returned them.

My favorite aunt, a witch herself, went to an auction and brought home SEVENTY-FIVE wiccan books. I cried when she gave them to me. It was as if the universe had repaid me.

I bought a huge bookshelf and faced it every morning when I awoke, my treasures being the first thing I saw.
And I realized, these books symbolize something wrong being righted, the rape I felt by being stolen from, the betrayal of the person I most trusted. The energy has been returned in the action. It was not held in the books. I no longer needed them.

I have studied, I have loved, and I wanted to pass them on. So, months ago, I went to my favorite wicca shop with big bags, and the lady oohed and ahhed, exclaiming,"And this one is out of print!" She gave me a good sum of money for only a few. I went home with a lot.

I discovered a great lady in the owner of this shop. She is such a mother figure, as many wiccans can be. You just want to hug her. She was tattooed recently by BoSo with a cresent moon on her forehead, just as the priestesses in The Mists of Avalon. She told me what a great guy he is. "Oh, if I wasn't married!" she said.
Today, being short on cash, I brought the rest of the books back to her. I brought the girls with me, and she is just a gem with kids. She talks to them and gives them respect. She took the time to get some dragonsblood, and show them that it was a root from a plant, not actually the blood of a dragon. She sprinkles them with fairy dust glitter, and they just fall in love.

She looked at my books, and said," I am so sorry! I have no money." I looked at her, and I said,"Well, you should just take them. They will be passed on to the right people here."

Today I gave ALL of my wicca books away, save maybe three. It felt great to give back to my community, like leaving a fifty dollar bill in the collection plate.

She asked why I was getting rid of them, and I said,"Well, I don't need them, I know all of that stuff." Then I realized I sounded like quite an ass. "Not to sound too cocky..." I stammered, blushing.

She looked at me, and even though I have only met her a few times, she told me it was nice to see me looking so happy. What a great compliment! She invited me to her Litha ritual, even though it was otherwise full, and I felt honored. She told me to take anything I wanted from the shop for trade for the books, and I found on the bookshelf a book on handfasting, the wiccan word for marriage. I traded for that and considered it a done deal. Maybe she will be able to officiate at the wedding!

I have had such a hard time finding my niche here in pennsylvania. I feel so happy when I meet someone that I can click with.

Blessed Be! Merry we meet, Merry we part, and Merry we meet again.

Love and Light,
your friend,
Mountain

2 comments:

  1. Passing on books, passing on knowledge. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post from your archives! I can't believe that I wasn't reading you 3 years ago, but I don't recall this entry! Mayhaps it is one I missed. Anyway, all systems seem to be 'go' here at your template. I like it. You are so awesome! Full of Love and Light to share with all! Love you, girl!

    XO

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.