Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chicken Soup for My Black Heathen Soul


Hi Peeps/Homies.

It was springish here today. The sky was outdoing itself in the blue department, and the temperature was melty. I even heard birds singing. I am grateful today for my community. I was dropped into the this neighborhood kind of like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, and in the four years that have passed I have found a husband, a family and a supportive network of friends all in a five block radius.

Let me tell you about my neighbors. Feeling like death warmed over from this cold, I was hobbling into the apartment when The Pizza Guy stops me. He is the real thing, brooklyn accent and all.

"Hey! Come here! I gotta tell ya I woke up this morning and guess what ugly bastard's face I see? Your husband! Your husband's face right outside my fuckin' window! I didn't know your husband is my fuckin' paper boy! Small world, right?!"

"Uh, yeah. Small world."

"Yeah! Tell me about it! Tell him to keep it out of the snow next time, why don'tcha!? Have a good one now, have a good one!"

My phone rings and a friend of mine is on the line,"Your neighbor's kids are here already, so you might as well drop yours off."
"That's not too many?"
"Oh, no! It's fine!"
"Ok, well, I'll bring all the kids home, then, so their mom doesn't have to come out." At one o'clock, I lead the parade of little ones over the shrinking snow banks home again, my younger daughter clutching her Trouble game to her chest.

My phone rings again. Another neighbor-mom-friend.
"You don't need to come and help me with my computer anymore! I fixed it myself!"
"Croak,"was my response, but it was supposed to be,"really?"
"My god! You sound awful! Get back in bed right now!"
At six, she brought me homemade chicken soup. I almost cried. What did I ever do for anybody to possibly deserve homemade chicken soup? How did I get so lucky? I'm full-on grateful for all these crazy characters that have taken me under their wing.

The hyper/jittery thing is gone. I've heard that you have side effects that pass after the first couple weeks or so, so I guess that is what that was. I slept better last night, although I wanted to sleep all day so that I would heal from this cold. I couldn't do that, so I ate girlscout cookies and read that vampire book everyone's reading for most of the day. Not a bad way to pass a february sunday.

My man has been gone all weekend. He rented his wrestling ring to a show out of state and had to rent a truck and deliver it himself. He found out the hard way that trucks aren't allowed on the toll road, dork. He called me later, out of breath. I guess the promoter didn't want to pay the wrestlers. With a thousand people in the seats, the wrestlers shut down the show in the middle and refused to go on. The promoter got a forced walk to the atm in order to ensure that the wrestlers got paid. Yikes! Who would be stupid enough not to pay a wrestler? After all this, he still has to break down and drive the truck home. I don't know how my husband does it. I couldn't live with the stress of it all.

My throat still hurts.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your throat hurts... but I love reading about your cozy little circle of friends and acquaintances in your cozy little neighborhood.♥

    And I'm trying very hard not to be jealous of your spring-y weather. sheesh, you're only one state south of me! howz come you get the spring-y weather and i get to slip on my icy steps? But I'm not jealous. nope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely that your neighbors are so....neighborly. Hope you are feeling much better today.....and glad the insomnia is wearing off too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww thanks for reminding me of your awesome neighbors. i just had a nice minute thinking about my little friend from a few blocks over...what a sweetheart she was. :)

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.