Sunday, December 13, 2009

Looking A Gift Horse in The Mouth

I have found myself in a writing drought. It's not the writing's fault, actually. It's my life, which is normally my bottomless source of exasperated inspiration. My life is in a rather uninspiring rhythm right now. I'm so used to chaos that I feel awkward about the fact that my life consists of going to work/coming home to a happy family/doing chores/sleeping. I've started out entries and deleted them after the third paragraph, squinting at the computer screen and stumbling upon the realization,"HOLY SHIT BALLS, that is BORING!" Stablity sucks, man. No conflict in the plot.

I haven't been BEING ME very often lately. I feel like I am scrambling all hours of the day trying to please people, and well, come on, we alllllll know that I am not the People Pleasing type. My husband needs this...my kids need this...my work needs this...hustle hustle hustle. I do EVERYTHING that I do out of a sense of obligation. I know a lot of adults live in this state for years, my mother especially, doing The Right Thing morning noon and night, but I wanted to have more of a sense of freedom and joy.

Things are fine.

Have I defined myself by my disasters? YES! Without a disaster, what am I? So unused to a calm sea, I wonder if that flat, peaceful blue expanse is actually The Doldrums, gleefully waiting to kill me with thirst.

Is this ok, this safe, peaceful, repetitive life?

Damned if I know.

My cat, in heat, escaped the house somehow. "Oh, shit, she'll come back pregnant,"I said. She did return, all wet paws and cold ears. My little daughter, the animal lover down to the cellular level, cuddled her sweet kitty and, grinning widely, said,"Aww, Mommy! I could be holding five cats right now!"

My cat has a more interesting life than I do right now.

I am stretching myself to inhabit my safe little box. It's a new world for me. Climate controlled and artificially lit, I feel ungrateful even mentioning that it makes me itch.

6 comments:

  1. Change is hard... even good change is stressful, so give yourself time to adjust to the new normal. I think sometimes we might feel more comfortable with the stress because we don't think we deserve anything better than chaos and emotional upheaval. But we do. You do. Calm and stable doesn't have to mean boring... let yourself get used to it and then let the wonderful rise to the top. It will dear... it will♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the "no more drama" rule slipping a little?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect you are waiting for the perfection to fall away revealing the ugly? It takes time to relax and enjoy what your new life is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should seek out a challenge of some kind, or a project. I'm a bit like you (no! surely not?) and I can now see that when my life became calm I'd do something to stir it up and this needs to be done in a controlled fashion. It's no good waiting to get used to it with itchy feet, as the next thing you know you're shagging the babysitter (or whatever) meanwhile, get skype AND WE COULD CHAT LIVE ONLINE FOR FREE!!! Love and miss you, Anna xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, ladies, I need a project OTHER than shagging the babysitter! Any ideas???

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I realized about 2 years ago was that I made everything into a drama and that made for lots to write about. When I stopped doing that, mainly out of sheer exhaustion, drama suddenly came to me and I totally clammed up. Weird. I think its also our feeling that we have to please our readers too.

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.