Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Your average every day run of the mill stress.

So, today I was on the phone with the bank and the guy was trying to do something on his computer and just to fill the air said,"So, how was your day?" and through gritted teeth I said,"STRESSFUL!" I'm nothing if I'm not honest.

  • my bookcase that held my cd collection was knocked off of the wall by the children and broke into a million pieces.
  • I was talking about how I can't get connected to things because things are always being broken or stolen or taken away from me by the court system, and just as I said that, my husband bumped my arm and I dropped a priceless handmade mug my mom gave me and IT broke into a million pieces. I guess I made my point!
  • I got an overdraft fee for an old bank account I forgot I even had because my bank spontaneously decided to charge it fees for no reason at all. That's ok, though, I got it waved.
  • I am STILL dealing with bullies and my elder daughter. This time the girl attacked my child on the bus, then was stupid enough to prank my home several times, and I just used the caller ID and spoke to her father. Haha!
  • I found out that the situation with discipline on the school bus is going beyond annoying and into the realm of dangerous.  I have to work and am not able to pick the kids up from school and I haven't yet found a workable solution. I feel like Winne The Pooh..."think, think, think!"
I did have a very fruitful conversation with a school facilitator about the bully situation. He frankly told me that some of the girls in my daughter's class came to the school with some major behavior problems. They weren't aware of these issues at the start of the year, but now that they are getting to know the kids, next year they will be better prepared to handle them. He personally has taken the time to teach my elder daughter how to play chess at recess, and so has gotten to know her pretty well.

 I am so impressed with this guy. He is the most amazing communicator I have ever seen in action. He made me feel heard, he made me feel like my issue was important, and he made me feel like they are working on it. The school is brand new, so I know they didn't have any discipline protocol in the beginning of the year, but I can see that things have evolved even after only one semester under their belt. The talk was good, but of course I am holding out to see positive action.

The parent that I had to call was pretty receptive, too. I guess I have gotten braver than I used to be, because of the good practice I have making telephone calls to aggravated people at work. I was nervous calling a bully's dad, because what if the bully's dad is an even bigger bully, right? This dad was very polite and receptive, though, and the little girl apologized this morning, so I feel like I did the right thing. A scary thing, but the right thing.

I also think that parenting fucking sucks right now, and is a lot of work! I love it, but I am certainly right down in the thick of it these days lately. It is a challenge to take care of myself and them too. I don't feel as pretty or as fit or as educated or as pulled together as any of my peers that I grew up with without children, and I realize I seem to have gone into some parenting state recently that is close to the very first few months of infancy...it is taking 110% again. I'm back to the feeling of  I-haven't-taken-a-shower. It used to be because I was up with a baby, but now I'm working-full-time-running-to-girl-scouts-calling-the-bully's-dad-helping-one-practice-guitar-congratulating-one-on a-good-fractions-test-cleaning-the-cat-litter-packing-lunches-and-looking-for-the-lost-permission-slip! Gahhh! Who has time for matching earrings or mascara?

I've seen over the years that these things come in waves, so I'm sure it will pass...or I will die of exhaustion. Mom out there, what age was the most challenging to YOU?

Love and Light,
Your friend,
Mountain

2 comments:

  1. My son grew up many years ago. He was small and skinny but he developed a personality and as he went through school, he made a few GOOD friends and hung around w/them. I think you are doing an amazing job with your girls....sounds like you are dealing very well with all the issues that crop up these days. As long as your girls have one or two loyal friends that is what really matters....and having each other is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The age where you have to let them go out in cars and you know they are going to bars! That's when there is no hope of protecting them and you have to go on the faith that you have prepared them for what they will meet and that they will have learned well enough to make good choices. The rest is a piece of cake compared to your little girl going out in 12 square inches of black latex to dance in a club in a section of Philadelphia you wouldn't want to step foot in during daylight hours.

    That school bus driver and company need to have the riot act read to them. I would threaten them with calling the newspaper and then do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.