Monday, January 11, 2010

More on the head injury, among other things

Feh.

All day long little cubicle citizens at my place of employment told me that my hair looked awesome. I'm not sure if I had fallen through the rabbit hole into an alternate reality where my hair was in fact awesome, or if my hair just was in fact awesome, or if it was the fluorescent lighting. Either way, I'll take it, with gratitude.

My mother-in-law gave me an astoundingly beautiful jade bracelet made of little carved butterflies for my birthday. I never thought,"Hey, I need a jade bracelet," but now that I have it, I feel that I must smugly inform you that It Is Mine And You Can't Have It.

Really, let's talk about the head injury. I worried myself to death all day at work about it. I was trying to do my work but I kept being interrupted by flashing neon daymares of "MY KID HIT HER HEAD! MY KID HIT HER HEAD!" I wanted to run around flapping my arms like an autistic kid having a spaz because my kid was at school far away from me and I couldn't check on her every five minutes and sing her funny songs, and feed her gummy snacks, and check her temperature, and plot it on a line graph (not a bar graph). My coworker said,"Well, why didn't you take her to the hospital?" and then I was reeling again,"WHY!? WHY!? WHY DIDN'T I TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL!? OH GOD! WHY?!"

When I arrived home, I rushed to her and hugged her and said,"How is your head?" And she said,"It was fine all day until I lost my backpack on the bus and had to lean over and pick up my bag. That hurt my head, but it only hurts when I bend. The rest of the day was good. My teacher played ball with me at gym.*" *They don't call it gym. It has a crunchy, granola, hippy name at their school, but it's gym.

She's like, totally fine! Yay! I consider myself a very laidback mom, but I am considering beginning a family tradition of sledding in bike helmets.

What else?

My mom wants to take the children SKIING....ahahahahaha...NO.

Did you know that skiing is not skiing? Skiing is a necessary skill that later in life will indicate one's higher social class, whiteness, northeastern-ness, and future availability for enrollment in an ivy league school. If your children don't SKI then people will KNOW that they were POOR!

(My mother didn't say any of this. It is all implied. Heavily.)

Skiing is what rich people do because their lives are SO SECURE that they have nothing else to do but HURL THEMSELVES DOWN MOUNTAINS to add risk to their padded little SUV driving, mocha drinking, remote control garage opener, music/ballet/tennis lesson, flexible spending account lives.

Personally, I love skiing, but that does not make the aforementioned any less true. I was born and raised a yankee liberal, but my children will be midatlantic greenie bohemians if I have anything to do with it.

:) Just trying to fuckin' relax.

love and light,
mountain



2 comments:

  1. this is a great entry. i love the way you say things. and i want to see the bracelet. and i'm so happy she's ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you darling, though I would never describe you as cuntish. Glad that girl is OK - how horrid.

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.