Wednesday, November 11, 2009

You Are My Sunshine.








I know I've been calling myself a displaced hippy girl who wants a yard and a farm and a goat in my livingroom and everything. I know. But, I stumbled across this little loft in the downtown ghetto area, and for the past three days I can fantasize about nothing but these hardwood floors. 15 foot ceilings. Wait for it.....pet friendly. The girls could still be bused to their school. I'm just saying. Did you see the exposed brick? Ohhhh.

Damn you, craigslist! I mean, it is very unrealistic. It's expensive, and it's in the hood where one could actually get shot. My children could get shot. This does not solve the long bus ride to school problem whatsoever, yet I dream of ((((((((((((beautiful lines)))))))))))). I always wanted beautiful lines. This loft is like a sportscar when I am in the market for a minivan.

Ooohhhhhhhh....15 foot ceilings.
ANYWAYS, today was my youngest daughter's 1st and 2nd grade fall concert. Exciting! My mom always used to go on and on about how much she enjoyed the school concerts, and now that I am a mom I understand. Love 'em, dorky as it is. Love my little daughter in her dress with the maroon taffeta bodice and floaty white skirt, dotted with little rosebuds all over. Love her little pigtails tied with white ribbons. Love her frog tattoo which some teacher made her wash off. Love the spastic kid on the riser next to my daughter, who just could not CONTAIN his glee in singing You Are My Sunshine, and turned it into his own performance art piece centered around his! feelings! of! enthusiasm!!!!! Until he fell off the riser. But he came right back up! Yay! Love that they covered the floors in real fall leaves that you could crunch in all the way to your seat. Love that all the children marched to their spot following a man doing a native american chant, and all the children echoed him. Love that they had a real live accordian player. LOVE IT!
They sang,"Here We Go Loopty Loo" and "Biscuits In The Oven" and the aforementioned "You Are My Sunshine." My only criticism is that they underestimate the sophistication of the average second grader. Raffi? Dude, so preschool. In their old school they sing They Might Be Giants. But, I digress, the school has been open only two months. Slack is deservedly cut.
The multipurpose room was recently completed, and it was broken in with due reverence. The kids' art hung from clothes pins overhead. The walls were gleaming white and pillars supported a ceiling dotted with skylights. I felt proud of the little, new, school, and proud of my kids for being there.
The cat is still good, thanks for asking.
I am a bright star in the creative firmament. Or a loft with hardwood floors. Either one.

5 comments:

  1. omg your description of that kid falling off the riser made. my. morning. lol, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH, THAT APT IS GORGEOUS....But expensive doesn't make it better if it is in a dangerous neighborhood.
    Loved the description of the concert...sounds so cute... can't believe they put real leaves inside the school...bet maintenance wasn't asked about that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a real pushover for kids' concerts. Lord knows I've been to enough of them. 5 kids' worth, 4 grandchildren, and I was a music teacher and band director, so I was involved at that level on dozens more. I go to them every chance I get.
    Yayy. The fun is beginning!
    mam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. forgot.
    Old houses have much of that same kind of charm. I think you can find one you like in a lovely neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay with the comments! People are coming to my party!
    L-My pleasure.
    My5-It's a NATURE school. They are all about leaves.
    Mam-I don't like patience. I don't like waiting for the perfect house until after my tax return comes. Harrumph. I do like music concerts, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.