Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hey What Have I Been Doing?

The windchill outside tonight is between 2 and 7 degrees farenheit, depending on which weather station you consult. It is painful to be outside without your face covered and longjohns on under your jeans. I went out for a walk to stretch my chubby post-holiday legs, and returned home after only a mile, whining like a kicked dog. The viking woman has been handed her hat. At the grocery store, I took my younger daughter by the hand and ran full throttle for the door. Although it seems on the surface to be deeply insulting, there is no reason to be shocked. It is winter. It is cold.

Life is still good. I enjoy barricading myself inside the house after the wrapping paper is torn. Every year I savor my New Year's Exile. It allows me time to read children's chapter books, drink coffee, clean, tidy and put away. Nature knows what I need, and her wicked deep freeze gave me the clear message: SLOW THE FUCK DOWN, SPEEDRACER!
It does no good to fight Nature, so I practiced some bimbling around inside The Pizza Palace.


READ: The Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright
CLEANED UP: Xmas has left the building
PLAYED: for the first time in twenty years, Trouble, and lost

COOKED: Venison cheeseburgers
WATCHED: The Wizards Of Waverly Place, Julie and Julia, and my perenial favorite, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I frickin' love Eduardo. I need an Eduardo tattoo. If I were to have a cartoon character tattoo, it would be MUCH LESS white trash if it were Eduardo, right?

LISTENED TO: The Avett Brothers, and Night on Bald Mountain, and that damned Miley Cyrus because I am a nice mom.
LOCKED THE CAT INTO: the closet. Overnight. By accident.
FACED MY WEIRD PHOBIA: of doorbells. It rang several times this weekend, and I let people in and didn't run to the corner and hug myself.
DID NOT FREAK OUT: that I am turning 30 in T minus days.

So, ***BREAKTHROUGH***** I allowed myself to let go and be mostly unproductive for a few days.
Back to the grind tomorrow.
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION:
Tell me, do you have a weird, embarrassing phobia, or is it just me?


3 comments:

  1. I do have phobias but right now, I can't think of them...but when I do, they are embarrassing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phobias, or just learning from experience what to avoid. Mine is riding in the car and going out with D. Phobia or experience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the way I remember life in the 50's and 60's. We were not always running around doing something, feeling pressed to accomplish. Dad went to work, then spent the rest of his time playing. Mom cleaned, cooked, but it was a very small house with few possessions -- and she had a maid during the 50's to do the heavy cleaning and ironing. Shopping was only done only on Friday nights. She didn't have to work outside the home. When did we become so driven?

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.