Monday, December 28, 2009

2009 in Review

Greetings, loved ones! We are home from NEW YOOOOOOOORK!



We made it home from the Empire State. We had a huge holiday, and a huge 2009. On the long drive home last night, I thought a lot about how skewed my perception was this year. All year long I felt like I was dragging a dead elephant behind me, getting nowhere and going nowhere. Actually, only in hindsight did I see that 2009 was a blockbuster of a year! Kapow! Out of the park!

First of all, lets just observe for a moment that 2009 contained 0% ex-husband. I was in control of my own life for the first time, really, well, ever, because if you really consider the facts, even after I left him he still controlled way too many aspects of my life. Before him, I was a child. Being my own captain for the first time was a shakey experience, but I think I did ok.

-I finished my tattoo apprenticeship this year, and worked as a paid artist.
-I lost the treasured friendship of my mentor.
-I got a regular full-time job and kept it.
- Got a truck, which impacted my life more than I realized it would.
-I was visited by Anna From England and had a great time showing her around.
-I worked hard on bringing the green charter school to life.
-I maintained my relationship of 3.5 years and was married to a kind, generous, creative and nurturing soul.
-I weathered a worldwide economic meltdown.
-I planned and carried off a BIG, FAT, WASP wedding.
-I sent the children to the new school, which actually opened.
-Our family grew to include Buddy, The Giant Bunny, and Gretel, The Homeless Cat.
-I blogged a lot.
-I sent a kid to Paris, France (not Paris, Texas).
-I struggled with reoccurring ear and sinus infections.
-I visited Puerto Rico, and enjoyed the best week of my life.
-My husband lost his hero, his grandfather, but he and his father gave the man a beautiful and graceful death.
- My husband's dream came true and he opened his wrestling training center!!!!!!

Really, no wonder I felt overwhelmed and exhausted...look at that list! The oddest thing is to me is that I felt that I wasn't getting anywhere. I got to a lot of places, and I am definitely in a healthier and stronger spot than I was a year ago. Silly girl! You had no clue!

I think the main focus and triumph of 2009 was FAMILY. The wedding brought us all together. The children spent so much time with my parents and with my aunt and uncle on the farm this year. My husband and I grew together, and our families actually enjoy each other's company. My husband's family truly became like my own. I spent a lot of time on the phone with my mom, and I finally could clearly see the benefit and feel the support of a loving, tight, balanced network of family. I reconcilled with my sister.

What I did not do: gain financial stability, lose weight, end my cycle of endless ear infections, get health insurance, turn vegan, open an etsy shop, collect child support or become a successful tattoo artist.

As for 2010, I hesistate to make resolutions. I still feel like I have a long way to go to become the Me of My Dreams, but I don't want to beat myself up about it all year like I did in 2009. On January 8th, I'll turn 30, and as a child I always dreamed of being thirty...in my mind, the perfect age. I feel like the last decade was all about trying new things and making mistakes. What will happen in my 30s?

Love and light to you and yours, during the holidays and throughout the new year!
Namaste,
Mountain

3 comments:

  1. 2009 did turn out to be a wonderful year for you. I expect 2010 will be even better because now you know how much 2009 affected your family and you. Good luck...I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I haven't read you a lot, I think that sounds like a substantial year of accomplishments! I mean, if you JUST finished your apprenticeship as a tattoo artist, you're probably not going to be raking in the big bucks quite yet. But I think you did a lot, at least emotionally. If you can find a kind, loving man and reconcile with your family, that is huge. Keep going. I definitely think you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5cents-Here's to 2010 bein' frickin' awesome.

    Witty-Welcome! The thing was I didn't realize at all how awesome it was until it was over!

    ReplyDelete

In my hideout, I don't reveal my identity. If you know me, help me keep my secret.